[CREATE] LGM-Mini?

alessandro rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Jul 16 14:07:11 PDT 2009

hi jon,

> We're in the final run-up to submitting an LGM mini-conference
> proposal for Linux Conf AU 2010.
> http://www.lca2010.org.nz/
> (The general call for miniconfs is at
> http://www.lca2010.org.nz/media/ news/47 )

imho, the idea of LGM-inspired conferences is very good.

with a similar idea, last weekend cédric, louis, benoît, nicolas, pierre, stani and i were in nantes at the "rencontres mondiales du logiciel libre" and we had indeed some sort of LGM-mini: it has been a wonderful event!

on the other side, the target of our talks and workshops were more free software user and IT-staff.
in your mail you also only mention artists and users...
in my mind this not a LGM-mini but a LG-somethingelse: LGM is mainly about developers getting together (and talking to their users).

so my proposition is to find a LG* name for those sort of sub-conferences and used it in parallel to LGM.
i think we can find a better name than LGM-mini :-)
as a side effect the uniqueness of LGM would be preserved (and there are good reasons why LGM should be unique...)!

some name ideas:

the name of the track in nantes was: "création graphique et impression", which is too far away from LGM and doesn't translate well in english.

we could try someting like "Libre Graphics Software"... but i'm sure someone will propose something better!

have a nice evening
a.l.e