[CREATE] OpenRaster fallbacks (proposal/RFC)

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue Jul 28 07:43:47 PDT 2009

On Saturday 25 July 2009, Martin Renold wrote:
> The saving application dictates which fallback to use. Maybe the user
> wanted a different fallback. For example, the user might end up with a
> color-corrected layer but would rather want the original back.
That's implementation detail in the application, nothing in your proposal
indicates that.

> Does anyone think this is a bad idea?  Anyone got a different idea?
I don't think that having a tag decided the use of the next tag is a good XML
design (but then I am not an expert at XML...), I am not even sure we can
enforce that in a schema.

But I think the <try> syntax is a bit complicated. It might get overkill in a
cascade of fallbacks.

What I had in mind was something like that:

<text name="rendered text" >
 <content>
  some text
 </content>
 <projection src="data/text_fallback.png" />
</text>

or
<projection name="text" src="data/text_fallback.png" >
<text>
 <content>
   some text
 </content>
</projection>

It's worth to note that the projection is also usefull to just be quick to
load, just imagine you have a stack of a lot of filters and only one layer, it
could take a while to recompute everything, while with the projection, you can
show that directly (and eventually reprocess in the background just to be
sure).

> Is there some standard way to do this that I don't know about?
Good question :) I don't think ODF or SVG have a fallback mechanism.

--
Cyrille Berger