[CREATE] LGM 2010 Website

Yuval Levy create07 at sfina.com
Thu Oct 1 10:45:26 PDT 2009

a.l.e wrote:
> since the LGM has born (it's already 4 years old now!), several projects
> have been started and i think we can say that we have something more
> than just a bunch of programs: we have a whole environment for graphic
> designers which is growing!

growing is often associated with growing pains :)

> today, there are several initiatives which are related to (or even
> issued from)  the LGM and handle different aspects of the libre graphics
> environemnt

and they look to outsiders as if they are completely uncoordinated. too
many websites; too many overlaps; no explanation how they fit in the
whole. Of course to insiders everything is clear and obvious...

> it would be nice if it was perceptible that all those projects are
> related and work together!

I second that. And it would be also nice if the purpose of those
projects would be clearer, if there was some sort of common strategy
document, accessible to everybody, discussed and advanced publicly.

> i'm not against keeping the splash (or other graphical elements) nor i
> want see it disappear (this will certainly a main point about the look
> of LG, though). but i think the time has come, to create some detailed
> "corporate identity" rules for the libre graphics, which could then be
> used -- more or less strictly -- by each project which relates to LG.

+1. I am agnostic with respect to the splash. Speaking for myself I
could imagine adopting it as a background to the Hugin logo if it would
associate us with other software packages that I feel affinity to.

> personally, i think that to get there we need:
> - a logo, with variations for different sizes and contexts,

Rather than a logo I would want to see a background as a unifying
element (the color splash would have been one possibility, and there are
surely others too). Maybe with different colors, matched to the
individual logos; a common shading; common proportions of logo to
background, etc. Somebody with better designer skills than me can surely
come up with a visual proposal.

To be somewhat serious the background should be trade-marked and
protected so that only software that qualifies (e.g. that is FLOSS) can
use it. And there would need to be some coordination in terms of colors,
so that we can present a whole palette of tools. Look at the palette of
colored squares with white two-character "codes" for each of the tools
in Adobe's Creative Suite.

> - a font for the "libre graphics meeting" text,
> - a color or a color type/set

Unified font and color palette would be the logical consequence.

The color palette could have sub-palettes, one for each project, with
e.g. 4 unifying colors and 4 projects specific colors. Each project
would have its own 8 colors palette but they would still look
matching/fitting.

Probably the color for headlines and for plain text would be part of the
common four colors, while the background color for inserts and sidebars
could be one of the project-specific colors.

At Hugin our website is hopelessly outdated. One community member showed
a nice mockup, but nobody has taken it to the next level. "Identity
guidelines" would surely help propel this kind of effort forward, and if
there was a single template they would also save us (and probably the
other individual projects too) time.

> i'm eager to read what the create community thinks of it!

I would love to see some sort of unifying identity. Not necessarily a
"corporate identity" (CI). I've been through a couple of CI exercises,
it's top-bottom. Like the much more ambitious idea, which I cherish but
I know is extremely unlikely to happen - of a common user interface.
Incompatible with the bottom-up nature of open source.

What I find disturbing in the current cacophony is the term "Libre
Graphics". "Libre Graphics" is insider terminology. It rings a bell with
you, but the best association it gets from the general public is with a
Cuba Libre at the bar! Contrast the self-explaining "Creative Suite".

"Creative Suite" refers to the most important feature of that software:
it is part of a suite and it is for creative use.

What is most important about our projects as a group? FLOSS?  Important,
sure, but not *most* important IMO.

How do other people feel about this terminology thing? I currently do
not have an alternative to "Libre Graphics" to suggest. Developing one
would require some deep thinking and introspection and I'd like to have
an indication whether such an effort would be welcome.

If I abstract from "Creative Suite" being owned by Adobe, I could very
well imagine to call the next Hugin "Hugin CS 2009.4.0". I could not
imagine calling it "Hugin LG 2009.4.0" - not because of the association
with other *L*ibre *G*raphics tools, but because of the term "libre
graphics" itself.

The version numbering is also something that could be used for unification.

Hugin was stuck for too long with a 0.x version number, giving the
impression that it is incomplete. The decision whether to uptick the
major or the minor version is too subjective in our case. So we decided
to use a simple convention:

* The major version number is the year when the release was branched out
of trunk.

* The minor version is a sequence number, odd for development
snapshots/trunk; even for stable releases.

* The patch version is unchanged and is in case we have a pressing
reason to issue a patched version.

Adopting a common version naming convention would bring us closer as well.

my 2 cents
Yuv