[CREATE] food for thought about the general public's perception

Yuval Levy create07 at sfina.com
Tue Oct 6 14:05:07 PDT 2009

there is a whole story in the thread for those who want to spend the
time to read it.

cause of all problems. even driven in a corner he is still unrepentant.
And nobody was trying to preach Freedom there.

Participation in Open Source can be explained in many ways. For some it
is idealism, social engagement, community. For others it is ego-centric
self-interest. And for many it is somewhere in between. Left and right
are part of the whole political spectrum, in Open Source like in art and
in real life. And where left and right can't cooperate the system is
guaranteed to breakdown.

In terms of real and perceived Freedom, I personally find more Freedom
in BSD than in GPL; and in public domain more than in BSD. YMMV. It is
also not the most important criteria to me when choosing which software
to use; or which one to contribute to. I'm pragmatic and relaxed about
the choice of license and have contributed to GPL and BSD projects with
equal passion.

What I can not live with (and where I quickly become dogmatic) is
disrespect for intellectual property / licensing terms. And this is a
real concern I have with the general public. I've seen GPL violations;
CC violations; (C) violations; and all of them are equally unacceptable
to me no matter if the concerned party is a Free or proprietary creator.

Yuv