[CREATE] [LGF-LGA] Ok, let's start with a website

jon at rejon.org jon at rejon.org
Sat Aug 7 20:59:23 PDT 2010

Hi, I'm going to bring this up one last time. We have
http://create.freedesktop.org, http://libregraphicsmeeting.org,
http://libregraphicsworld.org, and http://libregraphicsday.org.

Do we really need another website? Do we really have enough people to
hack on this, keep it afloat and more? Also, while Libre Graphics
Meeting has been a success, I still feel that the concept of graphics
is too narrow for a larger organization. We should look to support the
spectrum of free and open source source creative applications,
including sound programs, video programs (which are totally weak IMO
right now), and many other not-purely graphics applications.

If this were a company, I would pull all these sites together which
are dividing our and outside peoples' attention, and then we are stuck
with another place to try and spend energy. And, then the creation of
a foundation is something many of my colleagues have vowed to never do
again. I'm talking about people who created the Open Web Foundation,
OpenSocial, Apache and more. Its a lot of work. And,
foundations/nonprofits still will not directly help us achieve the
goal of supporting the free and open source graphics and creative
people, including developers, artists, and users. They require energy
in addition to our projects, and then finding ways to collaborate.

So, I still propose that we use http://create.freedesktop.org to pull
these resources together. If the foundation approach you still seek
and have the energy to lead this and fundraise, which could possibly
split funds for our big project, LGM, then I think best to use
infrastructure we already have.

Regardless, of y/our decision, I hope that we can pull these projects
together and make whatever larger organization a more *focused*
organization on real output more than just graphics. Whatever the
decision is, I will work with all to make sure its the best. And, of
course, yes, Aiki is a great solution for creating new websites!
http://opencolour.org and http://sharism.org and
http://openclipart.org are all running it with major performance
boosts.

Thoughts?