[CREATE] Fwd: Re: [LGF-LGA] Ok, let's start with a website

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 03:58:54 PDT 2010

2010/8/16 ginger coons <ginger at adaptstudio.ca>

> One remark though -- i'm not fond of the idea of a PDF-only magazine. Sure,
>> we'd need to get funding and/or sponsorship to support the printing costs,
>> but a printed publication is many things that a PDF file is not. (also, if
>> it would be online-only, better to have a website containing the desired
>> content than a clunky PDF, IMHO.)
>>

> I really think that this is the crucial bit. Print is massively important
> for two reasons. 1) Most people know that F/LOSS can make great websites.
> After all, the web is built on open. But we don't have the same reputation
> when it comes to print design, which is still kind of the base unit of
> graphic design. 2) Having a printed magazine to hand out at events means
> giving people concrete proof of both excellent software and a vibrant user
> community. A magazine is something that can actually be flipped through,
> read on the subway on the way home, and that requires no further action.
> Plus, there's the pass-along factor. A magazine can be shared and reading it
> with someone else is a nice sharing experience.

100 % agree.

And this brings me again to content.

What I think is we can already produce things to the same level of
perfectness as with proprietary software — only the road to achieve this can
be sometimes tedious! :)

We need: good design and good content. Putting this together using F/LOSS is
doable.

Louis