[CREATE] Fwd: Re: [LGF-LGA] Ok, let's start with a website

ginger coons ginger at adaptstudio.ca
Mon Aug 16 03:38:15 PDT 2010

> One remark though -- i'm not fond of the idea of a PDF-only magazine. Sure,
> we'd need to get funding and/or sponsorship to support the printing costs,
> but a printed publication is many things that a PDF file is not. (also, if
> it would be online-only, better to have a website containing the desired
> content than a clunky PDF, IMHO.)

I really think that this is the crucial bit. Print is massively important
for two reasons. 1) Most people know that F/LOSS can make great websites.
After all, the web is built on open. But we don't have the same reputation
when it comes to print design, which is still kind of the base unit of
graphic design. 2) Having a printed magazine to hand out at events means
giving people concrete proof of both excellent software and a vibrant user
community. A magazine is something that can actually be flipped through,
read on the subway on the way home, and that requires no further action.
Plus, there's the pass-along factor. A magazine can be shared and reading it
with someone else is a nice sharing experience.

--
ginger "all-lower-case" coons
adaptstudio.ca