[CREATE] LG magazine #1::∞

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 03:24:46 PDT 2010

2010/8/18 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>

> buondì,
>

> i answer to my own mail, and talk about the form of the of the
> three answers i've read this morning.
> (btw, thank for your answers!)
>
> in my eyes they clearly show one of the biggest problems of this list
> (sorry, alexandre, that i have to take your mail as a negative
> example...).
>
> when discussing about ideas, i'm convinced that we should take the time
> to formulate our visions and positions in an "organic" way. dissecting
> and answering point by point the arguments of another person will --
> most of the time -- tear the thread apart, increase the contransts and
> move the discussion to focus on many tiny details most of which are not
> relevant at all to the subject being discussed.
> this is what happened when discussing about the lgm venue, about the LG
> association and about the magazine.
>

> don't get me wrong, inline quoting is very helpful when discussing
> technical issues. but the threads from the last few months have clearly
> shown to me that this list tends to develop lengthy mail threads which
> scare away the best contributors. and even the not so good one as i am,
> now are gone.
>
> i won't even talk about the value of replying with  a "+1" or "-1" in a
> discussion about which direction should a magazine take.
>

> as i wrote, i won't stop working for the LGM and other nice LG
> activities but -- as long as this list stays as it is -- don't expect
> any innovative contribution from my side.

I completely don’t understand why you say that. What’s so wrong with the
discussion about the magazine? Do you really believe we are so far apart
that the magazine cannot even live? I don’t support this dramatic
conclusion. What prevents you to publish a Special Edition in phase with
your event in Switzerland? In other words, what prevents "innovative
contribution" here?

Just do it. Stop talking about it. Once it will be done, it will be there
for all to see. If it’s good, it’s good and we’ll all be happy. To the 2
points I’ve discussed earlier, I add this third one: feasibility.

You are bringing up valuable points and ideas. We discuss them. I don’t see
the problem. We’re only trying to make things happen. We have to deal with
some very specific things. I am only suggesting some possible ways. There
are certainly others.

In order for me (and for anyone, me, you, anyone) to help locally find a
sponsor for printing something, we have to come up with a well-defined
project. We cannot ask for sponsorship based on approximations. There is no
way to discuss about money without telling the amount. A quote has to come
into play so we can discuss whether the sponsorship is feasible or not. We
need the page size, the number of pages, the inks, the quantity, the
binding. This is completely real. For a PDF we would not have those specs in
the way but for printing, yes.

Then, if we want to allow people to print for themselves, we need to think
ahead, not after. What page size will be the most convenient, and are we
going or not to print in color, how are we going to bind this, etc.

And if we are to allow printing in Europe and in the Americas and elsewhere
in the world we need to be aware of the paper sizes in those large areas. We
may need to adapt the design. It’s doable but it has to be thought on the
first place. No clumsy redesign. In a layout, centimeters and millimiters
are important!

All this to say that if I insist so much on some details it’s because there
is simply no way to get away without considering them.

Re-reading what I wrote and what the very few others who participated so far
in the discussion wrote, I just don’t see what is so wrong with this
discussion!

Am I blind? What am I missing?

Cheers!

Louis