[CREATE] consensus constitency persistence

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 10:17:12 PDT 2010

Hi Ricardo, Yuval and all !

All this is completely interesting and inspiring !

I have to say that depending on the point of view I am encline to agree
alternatively with both of you !

Coming from the graphic world and owning myself a company that specialized
in graphic design and print, I am fully aware of what a brand is.

Talking about LGM, here are a few thoughts to add to this discussion. Some
will refer to what Yuval brought up about past LGMs and some will be echoing
the essay from Ricardo !

As an organiser, what I need is communication means that have to be ready in
time in order to promote the event and talk with sponsors. This has to start
right away after an LGM is finished. The organisation of the next must
already be on the go. For that reason, I much prefer that we keep the logo
we have, for instance, so we can concentrate on the communictations we have
to make and not on how we will look to the outside world.

So, if for instance we would like to modify the logo each year as we did
over the last years, then it would be advisable as we already have discussed
that the design of the logo and website and everything related to our
external communications fall into the same 2-year process we have
established for the venue. This means that we would be ready with the new
design, each year, ahead of time. So the communications for the next LGM
could in fact start immediately after LGM is over.

Of course, my concerns are pretty practical. It’s not that I don’t want to
enter the discussion about the benefits of keeping the same brand for years
or on the other hand change it every year. No. But I want to stress what is
needed, when it is needed and why it is needed.

For LGM 2011, I would keep the same logo as in Brussels. Unless... (more
below)... What motivates this decision is because otherwise we would enter a
long process for creating and then proposing and discussing the next logo...
I think we need to concentrate on the sponsors and on the organisation of
the event itself. Of course, I will be glad to read any further thoughts on
that ! Maybe in 2012 we will have a different logo? We would then start
working on it very shortly...

Same applies for the website. What we really need as an organisation is more
functionnalities in the website than a redesign each year. Once we will have
all the mechanics working, including a way of reserving and paying for
t-shirts, food, etc. then we could of course make the website change in look
every year, within a 2-year process...

Then, about the branding itself... By professionnal bias, I would start by
recommending that we keep the brand solid for a few years as Yuval suggests.
But at the same time I completely understand that Libre Graphics could also
be well served by a change every year. The website itself could list the
various logos so we could click on them to access the previous LGM
websites... It would show the dynamism of the LG community. Not a bad idea.
We could thus interest — and even make it a contest? — artists to
participate to this change. The name would not change, so it’s already a
solid tree. The branches and leaves and ground and background would be
different each year...

Really, my main objection is to work into a time frame that can obviously
only lead to improvisation or a misuse of time. Doing things the right way
at the right time would allow such changes that could be completely
inspiring...

Another way to look at this is, if we want a change for 2011, think of how
we would make a transition. Use the Brussels logo and change the name of the
city and dates and use this for early communications with sponsors... And
then sometimes in Autumn, unveil the new brand... This might work, what do
you think?

Louis