[CREATE] OpenRaster reference library - libora

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Jan 21 02:19:24 PST 2010

On Thursday 21 January 2010, Luka Čehovin wrote:
> Thanks for your reply
>
> > As for the missing bits, or underspecified part of the spec. Best is to
> > ask for clarification on the list. Many of them are actually crucial for
> > Krita (and most likely for a geglified gimp), but are not easy to do
> > right. Also not helping, OpenRaster has fell from Krita's radar from
> > "must have" to "nice have", time for us to raise again our goals for the
> > format !
>
> So far I have left out filters and such, because I am not aware (call
> me ignorant if you wish) of any application that would use them very
> intensively.
Well krita does since 1.5, and next version of Gimp will. But, both of them
might not be the main customers of your library, at least for Krita, which has
already its own facilities for open raster.

> For now my plans are to add thumbnail support and global metadata (are
> there any specifications on that?) ...
No, not yet. I think we are aiming at support for RDF/XMP, with something like
that:

<layer ... metadata="data/layer1metadata.xmp" />
and
<image ... metadata="data/imagemetadata.rdf" />

Unless we want to have more than one metadata file per-layer, and do something
like:
<layer ...>
  <metadata type="xmp" file="data/layer1metadata.xmp" />
  <metadata type="rdf" file="data/layer1metadata.rdf" />
</layer>

> then document it and polish the
> code. From there on it all depends on adoption of OpenRaster in
> applications and community effort.

Sounds reasonable.

> ps: I think your mail went off the list ... I hope it was not
> intentional because I am sending my reply back to the thread.
Oups, no it's good, my fault.

--
Cyrille Berger