[CREATE] [LGF] A name !

Tobias Ellinghaus houz at gmx.de
Tue Jun 1 02:37:52 PDT 2010

Am Dienstag, 1. Juni 2010 schrub helen varley jamieson:
> speaking as a writer, & as someone who is new to this group, my opinion
> is that if you are going to call it "create foundation" you might as
> well call it "group of people" for all it says about what it is.
>
> "create" is a meaningless word these days, it is totally overused by
> people who have little idea about creativity other than that it's a
> trendy word/concept at the moment. "create foundation" says nothing
> about software; it says nothing about open source; it says nothing about
> who/what/why this group is & does. maybe it's an organisation to help
> others create foundations?
>
> of course, a good name doesn't have to describe what the group is - that
> can come with association, with a descriptive by-line, a useful web
> site. a good name also doesn't have to exactly include & encompass
> everything that the group is; but it should manage to convey the shared
> essence. "create foundation" does not convey to me the group of diverse,
> imaginative, inspiring thinkers & makers that i met at the LGM.
>
> my understanding of what's shared by everyone is the floss ethos & the
> coming together of artists/users, programmers & others; this should be
> there in the name somehow. words like meeting, unite, bridge, & agnez's
> ideas below are interesting & useful words to play around with.
>
> some people have expressed a sense of urgency at getting a name, getting
> a domain, getting on with it. but if it's going to be a good name that
> lasts, that people already in the group like & that can help to attract
> new people, then it's worth spending a bit more time on it. maybe a
> smaller group could have a real-time brainstorming session in something
> like etherpad, then come back to the list with a few proposals.

I guess it depends on whom we try to adress. Do we want to be the natural
place for new users to come and look for tutorials on how to crop their latest
holiday pictures – then we need a name suggesting what we do – or do we want
to support the existing projects in the background and get in contact to
important third parties? If it's the latter we can build up confidence and get
known, so a self describing name isn't that important.

Btw, I wouldn't overestimate the importance of the name. After all "gimp" is
quite successfull, despite its name being non-descriptive (if you don't know
that it is an acronym) and leads to discussions from time to time.

Tobias

[...]