[CREATE] [LGF] Get a status : association, foundation ...

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 07:33:14 PDT 2010

2010/6/4 Joao S. O. Bueno <gwidion at mpc.com.br>

> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
> > On 4 June 2010 13:13, Joao S. O. Bueno <gwidion at mpc.com.br> wrote:
> >> I still think we could settler for both things:
> >> have a low profile association, that would rely on a larger body for
> >> dealing with paperwork, donations and refunds.  Our association itself
> >> would be responsible for communication, arranging
> >> meetings and ways to use the donations money, perhaps to fund
> >> promising projects for specific purposes from time to time.
> >
> > A low profile association, like, the membership list of this mailing
> list? :-)
> >

> No - I'd be for the creation of a formal body in Switzerland like A.L.E.
> is pushing and having some fort of "director board".  :-)

A formal organisation means formalities.

We have to ask ourselves for what reasons would we want to vote.

As I already mentionned during the BoF at LGM, I don’t think it’s advisable
at this moment and until we reach a certain level of economic activity, to
put together a foundation. We are already using the services of the GNOME
Foundation and this covers all the needs we have at  the moment and probably
the ones we’ll have in the short and mid-term.

I also mentionned that I am fine with an association but again we need to
know why we do it.

So I guess at this point in the discussion, it would be great to have a wiki
page with headers that would help organise the discussion around a couple of
axis and help defining our needs. The solution will arise by itself at some
point, if we express our needs well. Whether it will be a formal association
or an informal one, or another type of organisation, including a foundation.

By the way, if we want to make decisions by voting, we don’t need a formal
association for this.

I don’t think it’s bad to be associated with the GNOME Foundation. Quite the
contrary. It takes away the load of accounting work, and this can become
rapidly a nightmare. Just so you know, without the GNOME Foundation it would
have been even harder to get the money back from the Association in Poland
for LGM 2008. There was a lot of paperwork involved into that transaction
and the fact that we had a Foundation behind us helped a lot to solve the
issue. It took time but it was solved in the end.

We are already organised. We certainly need to improve that but let’s keep
our eyes on the target.

It’s fine to have a discussion on a charter but I think we need first to
define the needs and the goals. The means will become obvious at a certain
point.

By the way as someone suggested, we now have a wiki page:
http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Libre_Graphics_Association

This page needs a bit of love but at least we have a page now !

Cheers!

Louis