[CREATE] [LGF] Some goals, aims or objectives !

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Jun 6 07:09:59 PDT 2010

On 06/06/2010 01:16 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 6/5/10, Camille Bissuel wrote:
>

>> So, ok, let's discuss it... To active contributors in LG projects :
>> - Do you find this LGA project useful, and why ?
>>

>> - Said simply : Do you need a LGA, or is it a waste of time and energy in
>> your point of view?
>>
> For teachers who are on their tods -- yes, for the rest of the
> articulated cases -- no.

It's good to have this kind of honest, frank commentary, and important
as well.

Something which I think is not so easy to describe is that, when we
consider the advantages that proprietary software has over the FOSS
projects, there is the important area of marketing and promotion.
Marketing is not synonymous with advertising, but involves the
accumulation of input from users and potential users about their needs,
habits, workflows, then taking that information to pull together
information to fill their knowledge void about what FOSS can do in
aggregate, but also give feedback to the projects about important
directions for projects to take, individually and
collectively/collaboratively.

I am guessing that there is often some element of disappointment when
someone uses FOSS for their work, yet picks and chooses bits of each
program to use, maybe not as efficiently as would seem to make sense,
yet for the creative process one can see the logic.

Promotion does not require a 6-figure budget, but to a large extent
involves setting up a situation where we can encourage and even help
various users make it be known that FOSS is can be used and is used for
high-quality and professional work. Use-case scenarios could be an
important part of an LGA website.

The reality check here, as evidenced by Alexandre's comments, is that
there is an important credibility that must be built between LGA and
member projects, it isn't just with the outside world.

Greg