[CREATE] Free as in Speech, and Vietnam?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jun 10 06:15:27 PDT 2010

Hi,

I agree, going to a place like Vietnam, where freedoms and human rights are
respected even less than Brussels or Canada or Poland or France, to talk
about software freedom and computer users rights, will promote awareness of
the overall concepts. It perhaps in some small way may even help gain
respect for them.

Looking westwards: The UK isn't safe, its full of ... obnoxious British
people, like me :-) And, worse, British policemen; our Brasilian friends
might get shot on the metro if their laptop cables are not tucked into their
bags. Also, I suspect the UK is complicit in the USA torturing its citizens,
and I know Canada is.

While interesting, such broad political issues should not be decisive for
LGM, IMO. For a libre graphics event, what matters is the legal status of
software freedoms in a host country.

This means we should avoid countries who criminalise free exchange of
software ideas and reverse engineering: the USA is top of that list.

is Vietnam even on that list?

Regards, Dave