[CREATE] LGM 2012

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Jun 11 07:59:15 PDT 2010

This may seem a disoriented subject, but what I would like to bring up
is that, especially in view of what we see going on currently as the LGM
2011 site is being vetted, I think that LGM has matured enough that
future meetings need to become something more than an ad hoc process.

I routinely find it bothersome and annoying whenever I have some meeting
in which some major decision needs to be made, yet am given no
preliminary information about the decision, perhaps some preliminary
ideas that someone might have, and so on. One frequently has the
suspicion that there have been secret meetings or discussions, in which
decisions have more or less already been made, and then the meeting
becomes an effort to try to get some rubberstamp approval without much
discussion.

Worse is when there really is no sense of what decision is to be made,
yet there is pressure to come to some decision rapidly.

It's clear to me that the idea the we can come together at one LGM with
a more or less blank slate for where the next LGM will be and believe
that some good ideas will come about, and that some consensus or
agreement might come about at the LGM meeting is at best wishful thinking.

I would propose that while we are grinding away at the discussion for
2011 that either now or very soon discussion begin about the LGM 2012
location. Many things can happen in 2 years, of course, but
realistically, many things can happen in a year or less, so if nothing
else, the proposed site for 2 years from now can stand as a backup for
one year from now should some initial planning fall through. The other
advantage is that when LGM 2011 rolls around, the discussion at the end
becomes a more practical, detail-oriented discussion about 2012, and the
nebulous proposals begin about 2013. Finally, I can imagine that having
an extra year of planning for some locations might also be a good idea.

Greg