[CREATE] [LGF] A name !

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon May 31 08:44:55 PDT 2010

Dave Neary wrote:
> Smiley indicates humour or irony... but I'll answer this straight :)

in my case, i tried to express through a smiley the fact that the
question was meant in a positive, friendly way and not in a provocative
way.  i guess the one of yours was a more ironic one.

does anybody care?

> * Whatever the name is:
> ** Ask the Software Freedom Conservancy (affiliated with the SFLC) to be
> a fiscal agent and provide basic non-profit services for the group
> (address, bank account, ability to accept tax deductible donations in US)
> * Move the Create project under the ambit of the Create Foundation or
> whatever
> * Get benefits of a non-profit without the paperwork and administrative
> overhead
> * Can be put into motion quickly and works super well
>
> Cleared things up? :)

somehow.

i still don't know what the SFLC is, but i guess it's a US american
company which would do a similar work for, us as the gnome foundation is
currently doing for the LGM.

what i'm still missing are the advantages against just creating a very
simple association and using an external organization (like the gnome
foundation) to manage our founds.

or would the SFLC be the full politically correct partner boudwijn was
suggesting we shold look for?

>> some thoughts on top of it:
>> - at the bof there was some sort of agreement to build an association
>> instead of a foundation (it was more a preference than a final decision)
>>

> To-may-to to-mah-to? What's the difference between an association and a
> foundation to you? The GNOME Foundation is an association, its name just
> has "foundation" in it.

basically, a foundation is an organization managing founds with a moral
goal; an association is just a group  of physical or moral persons
following a common goal. this is what i recall from the law courses i
followed several years ago.

in my country there is some paperwork attached to the creation of
foundation, but an association is created by the simple will of the
associates to do so (you may formalize it's existence if you want).

i'm not sure if you're allowed to use the name foundation for an
association (it may also depend on the country your are referring to...)
but i don't think it really matters at the current stage. we are not
talking about what kind of words we want to attach to the name but about
the legal form we want to give to the organisation.

in our case, the reasons for proposing to create an assocation instead
of a foundation was related to how fast we can create an organization
and how much work would it be to run it. the idea was to minimize the
administrative overhead and outsource the finnances to an existing
association or foundation which already is registered to do it (we may
even have one in the US for US tax payers and one in the EU for european
ones).

ciao
a.l.e

p.s.: after trying several times to understand what "To-may-to
to-mah-to?" actually means, i finally got it. now: can we keep a
language level which is a bit more friendly to non native speakers? (if
requested, i may even personally switch to sentences with correct caps).