[CREATE] [LGF] A name !

Dave Neary dneary at free.fr
Mon May 31 08:06:12 PDT 2010

Hi,

a.l.e wrote:
>> here's an idea, take create and/or create foundation or whatever its
>> called to sflc software conservancy (eben moglen's law firm) my friend
>> bradley kuhn runs, and inkscape is a part of, and move create project,
>> whatever libregraphics projects exist, and then that gives the
>> benefits of a foundation without all the loads of work involved with
>> creating.
>>
>> I can put that into motion quick, and it works super well!
>
> i don't 100% get your proposal... can we have a bulletted version of it?
> :-)

Smiley indicates humour or irony... but I'll answer this straight :)

* Whatever the name is:
** Ask the Software Freedom Conservancy (affiliated with the SFLC) to be
a fiscal agent and provide basic non-profit services for the group
(address, bank account, ability to accept tax deductible donations in US)
* Move the Create project under the ambit of the Create Foundation or
whatever
* Get benefits of a non-profit without the paperwork and administrative
overhead
* Can be put into motion quickly and works super well

Cleared things up? :)

> some thoughts on top of it:
> - at the bof there was some sort of agreement to build an association
> instead of a foundation (it was more a preference than a final decision)

To-may-to to-mah-to? What's the difference between an association and a
foundation to you? The GNOME Foundation is an association, its name just
has "foundation" in it.

> - in that case, we would ask the gnome foundation if it agrees to manage
> our finances as it does for the LGM (we may ask another foundation, too)

At this stage, I would encourage you to go beyong the ad-hoc
relationship with the foundation and formalise some kind of regular
arrangement, as the GIMP did some years ago. The GNOME Foundation could
theoretically provide fiscal sponsirship, as long as it is in line with
the foundation's mission. It might be easier to move the finances and
administravia to a project which is designed to be a Conservancy for
Software Freedom projects, of for Software in the Public Interest.
Wonder where you might find those...

Cheers,
Dave.

--