[CREATE] Libre Graphics Magazine 1.1 is available to read, buy and modify

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Wed Nov 17 21:36:56 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 22:49 -0500, Gregory Pittman wrote:
[...]
> Something to point out (that I'll admit I didn't notice on my own) is
> that there is generally a failure to use typographic quotes in the text
> of the magazine.

It was one of the first things I noticed, along with the lack of
ligatures for fi and fl.  Let allone ffi and ffl :) But, it's an early
edition of a magazine, give people a break :-)

On page 6 the start of the 7th paragraph (We hope...) seems to show
a lack of kerning (kerning seems not to have been used at all. It no
longer involves a metal file and lead-tin dust getting up your nose and
in your eyes :) so there’s no reason not to kern today when it improves
the letter fit.

On the other hand, the typograhy has a sort of early 1980s feel to it
that's not entirely inappropriate - Libre typography is in its infancy,
just as “desktop publishing” was in the 1980s.

Let's help it grow up quickly!

There's a lot of energy here and a lot of fun and creativity,
I think it's fabulous!

Liam