[CREATE] OpenRaster metadata

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Tue Oct 19 05:10:07 PDT 2010

On Tuesday 19 October 2010, Luka Čehovin wrote:
> Because of recent interest in libora I have been motivated to look
> into the code again for documentation purposes. I have also noticed
> that my next step (when I put the project on hold in February) would
> be to add metadata support. This seemed like a step into the uncharted
> territory at the time as I had no impression that any consensus had
> been established for metadata in OpenRaster ... except for the format
> which looks like it is going to be XMP.
As far as I remember, the goal was to be a bit more generic than that. Like
allowing different type of metadata.

> So before I start diving deeper into this (when I will have some time)
> I would like to know if any application that supports ora files
> already implemented some kind of metadata support and if we can build
> on that?
Well currently Krita saves the XMP metadata (and IPTC/Exiv as well...) inside
the PNG files.

> Also, what kind of libraries do you use to manage XMP or what
> XMP libraries do you know at all? For libora I am thinking of using
> exempi [1]. Any thoughts on that?
In Krita, we use libexiv2 for that purpose. Mainly because we use it for other
type of metadata. And don't really care about having a LGPL library.
Otherwise, both libraries are actually using adobe's xmp sdk.

> The thing that worries me a bit with XMP in general is that it looks
> extremely complicated ... but on the other hand it is very flexible
> and standardized. Does anyone have any experience with XMP and would
> be willing to help (at least as a consultant)?
I have good experience with XMP, and I think Hubert (main author of exempi) is
reading that list, so if you have questions, you should be able to get an
answer here.

Yes it is complicated, but to be honest, the alternative is "pure" RDF which
is even more complicated. And if you want to achieve flexibility, you need
something complicated :)

--
Cyrille Berger Skott