[CREATE] OpenRaster metadata

Luka Čehovin luka.cehovin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 06:18:10 PDT 2010

> As far as I remember, the goal was to be a bit more generic than that. Like
> allowing different type of metadata.

What would be the benefit of that? Is XMP not powerful enough? Because
this would only mean supporting more options ... therefore more work.
Why not simply stick to one standard? Or do you mean something else
with "different types of metadata"?

> Well currently Krita saves the XMP metadata (and IPTC/Exiv as well...)
> inside the PNG files.

Hm ... whats the rationale behind that? Why cannot we settle on one
place to store metadata and one format to do it? Well of course that
can also mean storing it in PNGs but I always thought that PNG is just
a nice raster container in ORA and nothing more.

> In Krita, we use libexiv2 for that purpose. Mainly because we use it for
> other type of metadata. And don't really care about having a LGPL library.
> Otherwise, both libraries are actually using adobe's xmp sdk.

Great ... I see now that exempi is already in Ubuntu repositories so I
will give it a try. Does anyone know where I can find the newest
documentation ... the most complete one that I have found is at
sourcearchive.com I think.

> Yes it is complicated, but to be honest, the alternative is "pure" RDF which
> is even more complicated. And if you want to achieve flexibility, you need
> something complicated :)

Well as long as I do not have to parse the original storage format I
am happy ... however I would still like to provide a nice interface
for metadata in libora and for that I have to understand the
organization ... I have to print some Adobe documents regarding XMP I
guess :)

--
Luka Čehovin
http://luka.tnode.com