[CREATE] How open/free do you consider PSD file format?

Jon Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Sun Oct 24 08:07:30 PDT 2010

On Oct 13, 2010, at 8:43 AM, Olivier BERTEN wrote:

> So the best solution, in term of content preservation, would be to save
> these patterns as PSD but I'm not really comfortable with including that
> possibility in my format. In the other hand, pretty much all free
> graphic applications are able to deal with that format...
>
> So I'd like to have other's opinions...

One question would be to clarify what you intend to support as a "pattern". Do you intend to limit things to bitmap/raster tiles, or do you want to extend it to fully cover vectors, procedural code, etc?

That was one of the first issues I spotted when I was looking into this a while back. For one simple example, a "pattern" in SVG is allowed to be anything (vectors, images, gradients, transforms, filters) that will be repeated in a rectangular tiling. http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/pservers.html#Patterns