[CREATE] Art & Montréal (was Re: LGM 2011 - Montreal - May 10-11-12-13)

Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Tue Sep 7 15:41:28 PDT 2010

Superduper!

I’ll try hard to make it there.

Quoting John Cruz on the Libre Graphics Day Australia:

> Probably the first thing I can recommend is to be sure to try to reach any local artistic communities that you can.

I read the description of the Montreal proposal and among the local partners I did not see an arts organisation. I think that would be shame.

For me it was important in Brussels; the connection to Constant vzw and to the Networked Media Program of the Piet Zwart Institute. If there wouldn’t have been these links I do not know if I as an artist would have dared to attend.

It enables a connection between worlds that can benefit from each other (and also clash, but that’s good too!).

If I understand it correctly, reaching out to artists is also one of the goals of LGM.

Montréal:

> Its media arts centres and products, the remarkable contribution of its universities, the diversity and renown of its cybercultural thinkers, the ingenuity of its researchers, and the number and quality of its e-magazines, have bestowed on Montréal an enviable international reputation in the world of cyberculture.

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=4517,7008351&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

So for me it would be great if we could make some connection to the media art scene.

What do you think?

Anyone have contacts there?

It’s of course a bit short term to arrange any kind of collaboration, but at the very least the artistic world could be made aware of what’s going on so interested people can join and see the lectures.

As a connection point, Libre graphics does not only have a relation to the traditional graphic processes but also I think to developments like generative design and software art. You can see this in projects like Shoebot and Nodebox but for example also the ‘processing’ language http://processing.org/  —that’s an important software tool in this respect and its a free and open source project. Actually maybe we could invite someone from their team?

This generative approach is gaining some steam,
For example,
http://www.generative-gestaltung.de/
This book was the top selling book on the German Amazon,
there will be an English version too.

And a new text-book on software in art and design was just released by Princeton Architectural Press which is meant for art education:
http://formandcode.com/

Some thoughts.
What do you think?

Best,

Eric

Op 7 sep 2010, om 21:12 heeft Louis Desjardins het volgende geschreven: