[CREATE] LGM 2012 in Vienna?

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon Aug 15 04:36:08 PDT 2011

hi daniel,

> I was asked to say something to the list about the possibility to host
> the LGM @ Vienna, Austria, Europe.
> I am from the organizing team of the Linuxwochen Wien which is an
> annual event covering free and open source software in Vienna.
> Our event is part of a chain of free software events all over Austria
> including Linuxwochen Linz which already has a focus on libre arts.
> The next event in Vienna would be on May 4th- May 6th 2012. It would
> be an honour for us to have a joint conference at that date with you.
> If you are intereted please contact me and tell what are your
> requirements and needs to make it happen.

until now the libre graphics meeting has always been an event in its own.

basically, it has been organized by a local team which was free to set
it up as they preferred.
in the background there is a group of about ten people who helps out as
much as they can.

we have no experience in piggybacking an existing event and some people
are rather against integrating the LGM into another event... but who
knows, it may be a good idea...

now, some things which i think are important to know (other may me be
correcting me...)

* expect about 120 people
* we need a room for conferences. 9-12 14-18, one track. it should be
possible to record the sessions.
* we need two smaller rooms for meetings
* we need an "open space" with tables, power and wifi for hacking,
meeting, ...
* we try to pay the traveling costs of the developers (i estimate the
budget at about 20'000 to 30'000 euro, which until now was mostly
collected by the local organization)
* three days of LGM, if possible during the week
* there is a need for both a cheap acomodation and a comfort one (you
should just check its availability)
* cheap food for lunch (you should just check its availability)
* good food for dinner (you should just check its availability)
* an international airport should not be too far away (good
international connections)
* it should be "easy" to get into the country (china and US are the bad
examples here...)
* somebody from the local organization should send invitations to people
needing a visa (for austria i guess you will get 5 to 10 "serious" visa
request)

basically, you're supposed to provide a comfortable venue (which until
now we could get for "free") and to try to collect some money locally
for the traveling of the developers (we experienced that it's much
easier to collect the money locally than to try to get it globally: most
of all in europe!).

on top of it, it would be nice if a connection to local graphic artists
and artists could be established.

voilà, that i could put together!

@daniel: can you get the figure?

@the others: did i miss something? do you spot any error?