[CREATE] LGM 2012 in Vienna?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 09:38:49 PDT 2011

2011/8/15 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>

> hi daniel,
>

>  I was asked to say something to the list about the possibility to host
>> the LGM @ Vienna, Austria, Europe.
>> I am from the organizing team of the Linuxwochen Wien which is an
>> annual event covering free and open source software in Vienna.
>> Our event is part of a chain of free software events all over Austria
>> including Linuxwochen Linz which already has a focus on libre arts.
>> The next event in Vienna would be on May 4th- May 6th 2012. It would
>> be an honour for us to have a joint conference at that date with you.
>> If you are intereted please contact me and tell what are your
>> requirements and needs to make it happen.
>>

> until now the libre graphics meeting has always been an event in its own.
>
> basically, it has been organized by a local team which was free to set it
> up as they preferred.
> in the background there is a group of about ten people who helps out as
> much as they can.
>
> we have no experience in piggybacking an existing event and some people are
> rather against integrating the LGM into another event... but who knows, it
> may be a good idea...
>
> now, some things which i think are important to know (other may me be
> correcting me...)
>
> * expect about 120 people
> * we need a room for conferences. 9-12 14-18, one track. it should be
> possible to record the sessions.
> * we need two smaller rooms for meetings
> * we need an "open space" with tables, power and wifi for hacking, meeting,
> * we try to pay the traveling costs of the developers (i estimate the
> budget at about 20'000 to 30'000 euro, which until now was mostly collected
> by the local organization)
> * three days of LGM, if possible during the week
> * there is a need for both a cheap acomodation and a comfort one (you
> should just check its availability)
> * cheap food for lunch (you should just check its availability)
> * good food for dinner (you should just check its availability)
> * an international airport should not be too far away (good international
> connections)
> * it should be "easy" to get into the country (china and US are the bad
> examples here...)
> * somebody from the local organization should send invitations to people
> needing a visa (for austria i guess you will get 5 to 10 "serious" visa
> request)
>
> basically, you're supposed to provide a comfortable venue (which until now
> we could get for "free") and to try to collect some money locally for the
> traveling of the developers (we experienced that it's much easier to collect
> the money locally than to try to get it globally: most of all in europe!).
>
> on top of it, it would be nice if a connection to local graphic artists and
> artists could be established.
>

> voilà, that i could put together!

All good !

Not much to add but a few more details.

Like Ale said, we do have an organizing team. These people work remotely on
many time zones and take care of the world wide communications through the
website. We also take care of the large sponsors (large corporations,
organisations) but cannot really help on the local side (mainly, printers
for banners, posters, t-shirts but also for other sources of money to help
LGM happen).

We have an official website with a registration form useful for the local
organizers.

On the local side we need a very responsive team who can feed the website
with venue and accommodation informations.

The venue has to be free as we have no money to cover for the lease of a
large room for 3-4 days. Generally speaking, universities can open their
doors to LGM, free of charge, including maintenance, power, fast internet
access, audio equipment in the room, etc.

We need a large place where the LGM supper can take place on one evening. If
this supper is sponsored, then all the best!

The venue should be accessible with public transport or at walkable distance
from the hotels, youth hostel, other accommodations.

The LGM does not have to take place a specific dates but we do need to check
if other important events would create an agenda conflict. We want to avoid
that, if possible.

Please let us know if you have more specific questions or need more
informations.

Louis

> @daniel: can you get the figure?
>
> @the others: did i miss something? do you spot any error?

Not much missed as I said! only a few details!

We have had a 4-day event for the last 3 years and going back to 3 days
might be difficult but this will force us to be more sharp with the
conferences... :)

Cheers!

Louis