[CREATE] Access to LGM website

Yuval Levy create07 at sfina.com
Mon Mar 21 09:23:53 PDT 2011

On March 21, 2011 06:34:10 am Craig Bradney wrote:
> On 3/21/11 11:28 AM, Camille Bissuel wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm certainly not an authority in this field, but willing to change
> > our tools (SVN, mercurial, Drupal or whatever), a few weeks before the
> > event is not really a bright idea in my point of view.

agree.  and please, send mails in TEXT format, not HTML format.  I could not
read your previous mail.

> > We already spent weeks doing the actual LGM2011 website, and even if
> > it's not prefect, it do the job.

agree. don't change now.

> > Furthermore, using a revision control system is not ideal because it
> > increase complexity, and forbid quick testing in the production
> > environment (it's easy to make a typo mistake in a javascript file for
> > example).

disagree. it reduces complexity (you don't need a MySQL database back end) and
properly managed all the production environment is under revision control as
well, so that you can do all sorts of quick testing with a checkout on a local
machine or onto a staging instance on the produciton machine.

I had set a site up so that it is all automated.  contributors work on
Mercurial.  They push.  When changes are pushed, they are published
automatically to a staging site.  When the staging site looks ok, you press a
button and it is all moved instantly to the production site.  Just a little
bit of PHP/JavaScript/.htaccess.  Still totally undocumented, but maybe one
day I'll find the time to publish it.

> > Said simply, as already said by a number fo people here, let's focus
> > on next tasks instead of re-doing the same ones again and again.
>
> Well said.. don't change now.. develop what is there and make it right
> for 2011. You all liked it for 2010, 9 weeks is no time at all.

agree.  I was making suggestions for the long run, not for now.

> Having said that though, you should not be doing testing in production,
> you should have a test environment for that!

absolutely agree!

> Using any revision control
> system could simply allow a checkout of a release version into prod.
> Adding a CMS on top complicates that, although a database dump from test
> to prod and a checkout should generally cover it.

yes, that's it.  question is: do you need CMS functionalities? pages are
static, so just using some form of server side include for header and footer
is faster and efficient.  The editors of the static pages are savvy enough to
do some basic HTML and catch errors in staging before going to production.
You don't have the complexity of roles and accesses and the RCS let you undo
things anyway.  The only parts that would still require database are things
like registration forms.  The code in RCS and the database just dump it.

Yuv