[CREATE] DNS wrangling, CREATE home page (was: Re: OpenRaster spec: now salvaged, and available from the FreeDesktop wiki)

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Sat Mar 24 12:07:37 PDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Andrew Chadwick <a.t.chadwick at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 23/03/12 22:21, Andrew Chadwick wrote:
> > (Would it be possible to point
> > http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenRaster to the new location
> > somehow? Loads of places still refer to it. Perhaps it could be
> > done with a DNS-level fixup and a Wiki redirect, given the common
> > /wiki/ part of the path.)
>
> Will the CREATE project ever need a separate identity and branding on
> the web again?  If the answer is "no", I can ask the fd.o
> sitewranglers to do a simple DNS repointing of create.freedesktop.org
> to their own website which will catch some stragglers. Technically it
> looks simple: seems the fd.o nameservers just host a simple CNAME
> record for the old wiki.
>
> IMO, CREATE should make a home for itself on the freedesktop.org wiki
> if we go this route (and probably fix up Wikipedia pages etc.).  Any
> takers for that part of the job, hypothetically speaking?
>
> (Not sure where graphics get stored for use in fd.o/wiki. I know that
> the PulseAudio project for example store logos elsewhere on the fd.o
> site, but I'm none too clear on the specifics of how that works.  But
> it appears possible to have a pretty landing page provided the will is
> out there to make one.)
>
> --

Well, I for one think we could at least use CREATE's web presence as a
resource site, both for developers as they discover the creative app
universe and for artists/designers interested in learning more.  It would
at least be worth a site hacking session at LGM this year.  What
CMS/framework is used for that is probably not as important as getting the
content right, of course.

Nate
--
nathan.p.willis