[CREATE] [ORA spec] effects filters are incompletely specified

Øyvind Kolås pippin at gimp.org
Mon Mar 26 15:11:01 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Andrew Chadwick
<a.t.chadwick at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... (pure selfishness, not wanting to implement blur with MyPaint's
> tile-based representation right now).

GIMP's integration of GEGL is proceeding nicely now. A plan that was
formed a good while ago is now well on it's way through execution. The
old tile based API of GIMP, known as TileManager was used to provide a
tile backend for GeglBuffer. This means that wherever there is a
TileManager in GIMP a GeglBuffer wrapper can be created and operated
on with GEGL (when destroying or flushing the wrapper cached changes
are synced back).

Such tile-backends can even use zero-copy and directly use the data
from the underlying tile implementation, we chose to stop doing so in
GIMP since GEGL is happier tile sizes larger than 64x64px which GIMP
has been using.
As an example of what is needed for such integration look at:
  http://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/libgimp/gimptilebackendplugin.c?h=goat-invasion
Which is an implementation of such a backend on the plug-in side for GIMP.

The reason I mention this is that doing a similar thing for MyPaint
makes it possible to use any GEGL op, including on other tile based
representations. Perhaps overkill for just gaussian-blur - but the
approach, though transitional for GIMP can enable other applications
to reuse GEGLs plug-ins.

/Ø