[CREATE] Call for proposals for GSoC Doc Camp, Mountain View Dec. 3-7

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 07:08:51 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 2:06 AM, Konstantin Dmitriev
<ksee.zelgadis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 2012/10/21 Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmottard at gmail.com>:
>> I am working lately with a professional graphical animator (me being a
>> developer). We are working on making an animation fully with Free
>> Softwares.
>
> Very nice works you have on your website.
> Happy to see professional animators work with free software. ^_^
> I am working on 2D animation with Free software too. Maybe you will be
> interested to look at the project we are working on now -
> http://morevnaproject.org/. There are lot of notes about our workflow
> and tools we use. ^_^

Cool I'll have a look.

>> We have tried a few Free Softwares and are testing them quite a bit
>> daily, hence have some idea about what exists and not, but there is
>> definitely more to know about the topic. Our current workflow
>> involves:
>> - Compositing? Blender does some. Not sure of the full list of alternatives yet.
>
> Apart of blender we use Synfig Studio for compositing too - http://synfig.org/

Thanks. I heard about it but never tried it yet. I guess I'll have to, soon.

>> - Probably a mix of Ardour, Audacity, on a RT kernel for audio. It
>> could be synced with Blender VSE with Jack, if needed. But we have not
>> been there yet.
>
> I can say Blender + JACK + Ardour is awesome and very powerful.

Ok.

>> - Also I wonder if any solution exists for movie dubbing. Having
>> worked myself as actor in the field for years, this interests me,
>> because I have never seen this in Free Software world, and I have a
>> lot of feedback on the matter.
>> - Finally there is all the rest which is even less obvious. Like
>> making a professional working environment, like using a versioning
>> system (svn, git), usually used for code, work with binary data (xcf
>> files from GIMP, etc.). That's also a point I am testing a bit lately.
>
> About the environment. We use git to store the sources. Also we are
> using Remake for automatic rendering of the projects, it helps a lot -
> http://morevnaproject.org/tag/remake/.

Never heard of it. Apparently you seem to be the developers.
The description looks pretty interesting. I'll definitely have a look.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Jehan