[CREATE] Free and legal download of Pantone colour palettes from Adobe

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Mar 27 06:55:07 PDT 2013

On 03/27/2013 09:04 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
>
>> Oh WAIT!
>> There is no legalese on that page, but for a 'CC-NC-SA'  stamp at the
>> end, and the files are simple zips to be downloaded from a  URL
>> featuring the CC'ed text as their parent - and containing no license
>> or legal text themselves. So I guess - that is the actual use license.
>> It still will have some restrictions to use in all projects due to the
>> "Non Comercial" bit on the license, though - but as I see it it could
>> be used in comunity maintained add-ons (plug-ins, pallete files in
>> different repositories) without problems.
>
> Don't get overexcited. CC license applies to the documentation only.

At the same time, I think you have to consider what the nature of some
protection is that Pantone wants or has control over. Since a part of
their business is the selling of swatchbooks, they don't want any
competition in that regard, so you would have to be careful about some
commercial use which bypasses that.

I would be careful about distributing to others some personal swatchbook
which applies to Pantone colors for that reason. This is why we do not
include their palette with Scribus.

However, the inclusion of a Pantone spot color specification in a PDF is
not anything they would have any interest in interfering with, so
specifying Pantone inks is not an issue.

Greg