[CREATE] Anyone knows a dev at Wacom?

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 09:02:25 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Julien Deswaef <juego at requiem4tv.com> wrote:
> Hello list
>
> Since the last LGM and the excellent lightning talk by Nathan Willis
> about the inkling from Wacom and how to open and convert the files with
> free software, I found myself hooked by this subject.
>
> I have since got in touch with Roel Janssen and provided some feedback,
> test files and other bug reports to improve the InklingReader he
> created. https://github.com/roelj/inklingreader There is even now an
> Inkscape plugin.
>
> But we are stuck with 2 problems to have a complete feature list. There
> is still undecoded data from the files (supposedly timing data) and
> there is an "online feature" in the tool that permits to use the pen as
> a mouse (works with the proprietary driver on Windows).
>
> I've heard that Wacom devs don't mind sharing a bit of info when it
> helps open source projects like these. But it would be great if we could
> have a direct contact, through someone in this mailing list maybe?
>
> If anybody has any suggestion or could give any help with this, it would
> be great.

Well you could try the Wacom hacker (Ping Cheng) who was contributing
to the Linux kernel for the support of Wacom devices:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/?id=e694958388c50148389b0e9b9e9e8945cf0f1b98&qt=author&q=wacom

This said, he does not seem to have been active anymore since 2009,
according to these commit logs, and there does not seem to have been
any other dev with a wacom.com email since then either.
But you can still try to email him. If the email is still valid (i.e.
if he still works at Wacom), he might answer or maybe put you in
contact with some other Wacom dev.

In any case, whatever the outcome of this all is, I think we'll be
interested in knowing what you discovered, and how you improved the
support for Linux of this device. Don't hesitate to give some news
from time to time.
Have fun!

Jehan