[CREATE] Code of Conduct

Gez listas at ohweb.com.ar
Mon Jan 20 12:24:37 PST 2014

> > male white human beings are "priviledged" and also monsters that need to be kept at bay.

Guys, after a few rounds this conversation about "white male privilege"
starts to sound a little bit patronizing.

I'm not going to deny that white males from first-world countries have a
privilege, but that statement coming again and again from... white males
from first-world countries, sounds like showing off the privilege rather
than an honest concern.
So please cut the paternalistic attitude. You don't have to protect the
less fortunate. Just treat them properly :-)

We, the non-white humans (unless being white from the lack of sun
exposure because you're a basement nerd counts as white, in that case
count me in) are pretty aware of that privilege, and we are aware that
most of the people with that privilege don't use it to bully or harass
others.

Personally, I think a CoC is ok, but as other people pointed out, I'm
not sure about how effective it could be. I mean, a jerk is a jerk, a
code of conduct won't keep him/her from abusing others.
The only real measure that makes a difference is acting immediately when
somebody abuses others, ejecting that person from the event and banning
him/her from future editions.
I'm not sure if a code of conduct will stop an idiot from being an
idiot. Privileged or not (a girl from the third world can abuse verbally
or phyisically a white male too, and that wouldn't be nice either).

People usually behave. Conferences like the LGM gather people with
similar interests, so it's reasonable to expect a friendly environment.
If it's really necessary to set a code of conduct keep that in mind and
try to avoid confronting the majority of cool people attending with a
negative message, nasty examples and threats.

Kind regards,
Gez.