[CREATE] Code of Conduct

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 13:56:55 PST 2014

2014/1/20 Gez <listas at ohweb.com.ar>

> > > male white human beings are "priviledged" and also monsters that need
> to be kept at bay.
>
> Guys, after a few rounds this conversation about "white male privilege"
> starts to sound a little bit patronizing.
>
> I'm not going to deny that white males from first-world countries have a
> privilege, but that statement coming again and again from... white males
> from first-world countries, sounds like showing off the privilege rather
> than an honest concern.
> So please cut the paternalistic attitude. You don't have to protect the
> less fortunate. Just treat them properly :-)
>
> We, the non-white humans (unless being white from the lack of sun
> exposure because you're a basement nerd counts as white, in that case
> count me in) are pretty aware of that privilege, and we are aware that
> most of the people with that privilege don't use it to bully or harass
> others.
>
> Personally, I think a CoC is ok, but as other people pointed out, I'm
> not sure about how effective it could be. I mean, a jerk is a jerk, a
> code of conduct won't keep him/her from abusing others.
> The only real measure that makes a difference is acting immediately when
> somebody abuses others, ejecting that person from the event and banning
> him/her from future editions.
> I'm not sure if a code of conduct will stop an idiot from being an
> idiot. Privileged or not (a girl from the third world can abuse verbally
> or phyisically a white male too, and that wouldn't be nice either).
>
> People usually behave. Conferences like the LGM gather people with
> similar interests, so it's reasonable to expect a friendly environment.
> If it's really necessary to set a code of conduct keep that in mind and
> try to avoid confronting the majority of cool people attending with a
> negative message, nasty examples and threats.

Hi Gez,

I agree. I believe what’s proposed goes in that direction.

As I mentionned earlier in this thread, we already have an implicit code of
conduct.

We do behave.

Putting it in words won’t hurt and using a positive wording will reinforce
the idea that we want LGM to be as friendly and open to others as possible.

I don’t think anybody would want a negative message and nasty examples and
threats! So, there won’t be! :-)

Thanks for the input!

Louis