[CREATE] Code of Conduct

Simon Budig simon at budig.de
Mon Jan 20 15:27:34 PST 2014

Gez (listas at ohweb.com.ar) wrote:
> I'm not going to deny that white males from first-world countries have a
> privilege, but that statement coming again and again from... white males
> from first-world countries, sounds like showing off the privilege rather
> than an honest concern.
> So please cut the paternalistic attitude. You don't have to protect the
> less fortunate. Just treat them properly :-)

Well, I hope I do. And I don't mean to be patronizing, sorry for that.

However, I think that to "protect the less fortunate" is the whole point
of a CoC. Where "protecting" starts with creating awareness, that
harassment is very real in our society. And while most people indeed do
treat other people properly we need to realize, that dealing with these
idealistic values like free and open software, high ethic ideals etc.
does not automatically protect us from having jerks and idiotic behaviour
among us.

And I sincerely hope that I somehow manage to speak up when I witness
harassment - and I hope I am allowed to do so despite being a
first-world-white-male...   :)

I believe a CoC can help encouraging this. And yes, I do believe that a
positive wording without a generalized suspicion helps in reaching that
goal.

Bye,
        Simon

--