[CREATE] Last round of comments: LGM Code of Conduct

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon May 26 06:11:35 PDT 2014

On 05/26/2014 08:46 AM, Simon Budig wrote:
> Femke Snelting (snelting at collectifs.net) wrote:
>> Thank you again for your helpful comments, on- and off list.
>>
>> - I agree that the reference to examples was awkwardly phrased and simple is better:
>> "Some examples: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_incidents"
>
> While I do believe that it is useful to have something in the CoC that
> counters the "doesn't happen in our circles" attitude I really wonder if
> it is wise to reference something that is "out of our control". We would me
> more flexible about what to reference when we'd point to a URL under the
> libregraphicsmeeting.org domain, where we can have a collection of
> ressources that even can be expanded/changed if new good ressources pop
> up or other ressources go bad.

I think it can be safely said that we have gotten over the question
about having a CoC. Regardless of whatever it says, the CoC should be
clear about what kinds of behavior are inappropriate, and the
consequences of such behavior.

In both instances, it's better to try to delineate the categories
explicitly, yet allowing for judgmental leeway. We're not making the Ten
Commandments, but at the same time they do a good job of indicating
which behaviors are not proper without specific examples.

We also should keep in mind that there are potential issues of privacy
involved with examples based on real incidents. People who blog about
such things don't always consider this.

Greg