[CREATE] Last round of comments: LGM Code of Conduct

ginger coons ginger at adaptstudio.ca
Mon May 26 08:41:55 PDT 2014

On 05/26/2014 09:19 AM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> <mailto:simon at budig.de>>:
>
>     Femke Snelting (snelting at collectifs.net
>     <mailto:snelting at collectifs.net>) wrote:
>     > Thank you again for your helpful comments, on- and off list.
>     >
>     > - I agree that the reference to examples was awkwardly phrased
>     and simple is better:
>     > "Some examples:
>     http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_incidents"
>
>     While I do believe that it is useful to have something in the CoC that
>     counters the "doesn't happen in our circles" attitude I really
>     wonder if
>     it is wise to reference something that is "out of our control". We
>     would me
>     more flexible about what to reference when we'd point to a URL
>     under the
>     libregraphicsmeeting.org <http://libregraphicsmeeting.org> domain,
>     where we can have a collection of
>     ressources that even can be expanded/changed if new good
>     ressources pop
>     up or other ressources go bad.
>

> +1

Count me as another +1 on that suggestion. I agree fully that having
control over the page we're linking to is important. I'd even suggest
that we could come up with a pretty thorough resource, documenting both
things like the Geek Feminism Timeline of Incidents (which is one
important type of resource), as well as documents of the kind suggested
by Louis (which are regulatory, rather than descriptive). I do think,
though, that it's important to include any public lists of incidents we
can find, and attempt to expand our list beyond the currently-included
one from Geek Feminism.

However, in addition to trying to find resources which discuss types of
harassment beyond the gendered type described on the Geek Feminism Wiki,
I do think it's important to note why that example exists, and why
others may be more difficult to find. F/LOSS communities, at the moment,
are fairly homogeneous. It's only in recent years that even a
significant number of women have become involved. As F/LOSS in general,
and the Libre Graphics community in particular become more and more
diverse, I suspect that, rather than having perfect inclusion, we will
see more incidents which involve people who are different in ways other
than just their gender. But, up to this point, much of the documented
harassment at F/LOSS events has been gender-based, which means that
that's what a disproportionate amount of the current documentation covers.

Rather than feel bothered that one group is getting an excess of
accommodation, I'd suggest that we all expand our net a little, look
around to see if we can find documentation covering other types of
harassment that have existed and been addressed in codes of conduct, and
include those as well on a sort of omnibus page.

-ginger

> Louis
>

>     Bye,
>             Simon