[CREATE] kicking off openType features UI design

peter sikking peter at mmiworks.net
Wed Jul 8 11:00:10 PDT 2015

hey create list, let’s get started!

I am sure that you have read my blog entry
<http://blog.mmiworks.net/2015/06/designing-opentype-intro.html>
with my project structure.

step one is to establish a solid statement of what we are
trying to achieve: a product vision.

the point is that we reach consensus on the answers to the
following questions:

- what is it we are making
  (this is not trivial; how much is in, and not in, this little
  infrastructure system)
- who is it for
  (as noted in the blog, the user groups could turn out to be defined
  real narrow or quite wide)
- what is the value
  (yep, we do not do this ‘just because we can, or must.’
  we do this because the libre graphics ecosystem becomes more
  valuable. how, that is the question)

to give an example of value: streetlights are a super-boring
infrastructure system. their value is not in that we all can see
something at night, out in the streets. no, their value is in
that significantly less traffic accidents and crime happen at
night, out in the streets.

that last sentence has a real kick to it, no? yeah, that is value.

now, I must organise this in a way that is quite different than
‘get the crew in one room and moderate a discussion.’

so my first step here is to take a poll of how many of you
want to play a role in defining the vision for openType
features UI; who wants to take part in the discussion?

depending on the number of people who say yes to this,
I will pick my ‘forum’ to run the discussion (e.g. on
this mailing list, a chat session, a video hangout, a
meeting in Reading in two weeks).

if you want to play a role, then reply to this mail,
before saturday (11 july, that is ;^)

let’s get started!

    --ps

        designs interaction for creatives +