[CREATE] kicking off openType features UI design

peter sikking peter at mmiworks.net
Fri Jul 10 15:42:37 PDT 2015

Nathan wrote:

> Well, I'm interested, naturally…

I was counting on you. cool.

> I guess I have one further question about how we reach consensus on things.  This list is populated largely by free-software developers, much less so by graphic designers and other "power" users -- although there are a fair share of them.  Are we limiting our potential participant pool too much? Might we want to extend an invite some existing "FOSS design" groups, for instance?

interaction design is bringing 3 worlds together: product,
users and tech. this step concentrates on product, on the
persons who can feel in their bones (somehow) that offering
openType features across the libre graphics ecosystem makes
the latter more valuable. they do not need to be able to
formulate it right now; I have my ways to get it out of them.

specifically not asked to participate in this method are
users and the whole tech faction (i.e. everyone who looks
at this as just some code). they will be involved in
forthcoming steps in the process, where their needs will
be uncovered.

today I was thinking about the application developers in
the libre graphics ecosystem and it appeared to me that
they are also users/consumers of the openType features
infrastructure. that matches, I think, to how many of
them have raised there hand up to now to get involved
right now.

thus I think there is much smaller list of people who
can help to give us a sense of purpose and direction.
these people:

- can oversee the libre graphics landscape
- are not tied intimately to one or two libre graphics projects
- have a good (basic) understanding of openType features
- can feel it in their bones that the libre graphics world
  must do this
- feel that the time is now, suddenly there is a level playing
  field (adobe is in a mess), a window of opportunity that
  should not be missed.

if I can be so bold to list who I got in mind:

Nathan, Behdad (of course), Dave Crossland.
Maybe Alexandre Prokoudine and Louis Desjardins.

    --ps

        designs interaction for creatives +
        solutions with a wide impact on society

        teacher, mentor, author, lecturer