[CREATE] FontVal 2.1.1 binaries for Mac OS X and Linux (Ubuntu)

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 1 11:45:18 UTC 2017

Hi,

As promised a few weeks ago, FontVal 2.1.1 is a binary-update only from
building with a new cross-compiler for Mac OS X; as it turns out, I also learned enough
about Docker containers to build for another linux box than I myself have, too.

So I just uploaded 4 tar balls:

FontVal-2.1.1-osx-10.7-x64.tgz
FontValGUI-2.1.1-osx-10.7.tgz
FontVal-2.1.1-py-ubuntu-16.04-x64.tgz
FontVal-2.1.1-py-ubuntu-14.04-x64.tgz
(and their gpg signatures as *.sig for the security-conscious people)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hp-pxl-jetready/files/Microsoft%20Font%20Validator/

Most people also want the FontValidatorHelp-2.1.chm file for reference too.

Each of the tarballs is just one file inside, the command line tool for Mac OS X, GUI,
for Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 14.04 . The Mac GUI still have the issue a year ago
where it would say "Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file", pause
for a couple of minutes when run the first time, before showing.

For trying out, most people do:

    FontValidator -file <fontfile> +all-tables +raster-tests -stdout

whereas font designer might like to keep the report where the font is with:

    FontValidator -file <fontfile> +all-tables +raster-tests -report-in-font-dir

Special thanks to Christian Demmer for multiple rounds of patient testing
of the Mac OS X binaries!

As the Ubuntu binaries also work on Fedora 26 too, I don't think I need to upload
the 3000+ reports on fedora shipped fonts any more - anybody want to know can
just run it themself and see.

Small release note below, and if you find it useful, please click
https://sourceforge.net/p/hp-pxl-jetready/donate/ to donate.

=====

Font Validator is a tool for testing fonts prior to release.
It was initially developed by Microsoft, to ensure that fonts meet Microsoft's
high quality standards and perform exceptionally well on Microsoft's
platform.

In 2015 the source code was published under the MIT license ([see release
discussion](http://typedrawers.com/discussion/1222/microsoft-font-validato
r-lives))

Most (only?) active development happens at
http://github.com/HinTak/Font-Validator .

FontVal 2.1.1
=============

- This is an update from FontVal 2.1 on the FreeType backend only,
  to VER-2-8-100-g587264cfd .

  We now also offer all-in-one command-line binaries for Ubuntu Linux x86_64
  14.04 and 16.04, in addition to Mac OS X. ( Thanks to new functionality
  in mono introduced in 4.6.0 and matured in 4.8.0 in the last 12 months. )
  The Ubuntu 16.04 binary is preferred, as the 14.04 binary is limited
  by older compiler as mentioned in FontVal 2.1.

  - as rasterization tests now work on all major platforms, "+raster-tests"
    will become the default in FontVal 2.2 .

Special thanks to Christian Demmer for multiple rounds of patient testing
of the Mac OS X binaries!

The rest of the release notes and what changed in the last 12 months from FontVal 2.0
to 2.1 a few weeks ago is in
https://github.com/HinTak/Font-Validator/blob/master/Release-Notes