[CREATE] CREATE Digest, Vol 164, Issue 4

InkLab App inklabapp at gmail.com
Sun May 17 18:21:30 UTC 2020

Hi Johann,

There were a number of relevant points to unpack from your post,
apologies if I don't hit all of them.

For EXR and PNG, I can easily see both sides. EXR has less library support
in general and is less familiar than PNG. However, the biggest
make-or-break argument that I see issupport for CMYKA (5 channels per
pixel) which is impossible with PNG. EXR may have other benefits or
complications, but from my perspective this is the decision maker. If we
would like ORA format to be able to be used by print shops / for physically
printed media, then in general it should have support for CMYKA. We can not
convert from PNG to EXR (with 5 channels) without rounding errors which
build up over saves.

I think we need to have a consensus on that decision before deciding if and
how to be backwards compatible.

For effects I started a discussion a few threads up here:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/create/2020-May/005404.html

For vectors I would tentatively agree that the raster data should be
provided along with the vector data, because the other option is to force
every program to implement or source a full SVG rendering system. I don't
know exactly how much of a stretch this is but I think even programs like
Gimp were not suited well to it.

I think Alex already mentioned about affine transforms. Basically you start
with one raster layer, which is always saved un-transformed. Then you apply
the matrix of values multiplied over each pixel in that image to render the
transformed version. By saving the transform as a matrix you preserve the
ability to easily edit the original raster, which is the goal of many of
these efforts (non destuctive edits).

-Paul