DBus Over multiple machines

Havoc Pennington hp@redhat.com
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:56:54 -0500

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 08:42, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> Hello all. I am tryuing to use DBUS for an internal project, but am running
> into difficulties regarding its ability to be used over multiple machines via
> TCP.

I think there's no working auth mechanism over TCP right now. You say
you turned off all auth, but how did you do that? I'm not sure there's a
way to do so.

> I think DBUS would be much more powerful if a message routing mechanism was
> built in the the dbus-daemon. For example, say your network had two
> application servers, com.FooBarCo.Server1 and com.FooBarCo.Server2. The DBUS
> daemon config files could have an entry that specified that messages destined
> for certain applications could get routed to different machines. For example:
>
> <route namespace="com.FooBarCo.FooApplication" destination="Server1" />
> <route namespace="com.FooBarCo.FooApplication" destination="Server2" />

This may be a bit square-peg-round-hole; dbus isn't exactly intended for
this sort of application, though if it works, that's cool too.

You could have an app connect to the bus, apply a matching rule to match
all messages, and then forward some messages to other machines though.

Havoc