why re-invent the wheel ?

Tim Barbour trb@eastpac.com.au
Sat, 04 Oct 2003 16:37:35 +1000

Hi,

I just stumbled across DBUS, and noticed the invitation to comment, at
http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/dbus

Here are my comments:

(i) Why not use an existing message bus ? There are several open source ones, including
    Spread, JavaGroups, one from Tibco, and several implementations of the CORBA Notification
    Service. Some of these are capable of reliable multi-cast (extremely scalable).

(ii) If you must roll your own, why not follow a standard, such as the CORBA Notification
     Service (particularly since GNOME uses CORBA) ?

Please cc: me on follow-ups, since I am not subscribed to the list.

Tim