naive question ...

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Apr 27 23:32:31 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 01:59, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> i'm completely new here and didn't yet understand what dbus's relly
> for, so please excuse my probably naive question:
>
> is it suited for notifying like "netdev came up" or "user XYZ has
> logged in", so some application listening for such events could
> do something, i.e. display an xmessage or write a mail ?

Yes.  It's absolutely ideal for these sorts of things, and it's fully
intended to be used for those sorts of things.  Hotplug and udev on
Linux already uses D-BUS for sending hardware event notifications (HAL,
gnome-volume-manager, etc.) and it would be great to get more hardware
based apps to use it.  For example, imagine if the X Server used HAL
(and, by extension, D-BUS) to automatically reconfigure new input
devices and so on while the server is running.  Would be great.  :)