naive question ...

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Tue Apr 27 23:48:07 EST 2004

Sean Middleditch wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 01:59, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
>

>>Hi folks,
>>
>>i'm completely new here and didn't yet understand what dbus's relly
>>for, so please excuse my probably naive question:
>>
>>is it suited for notifying like "netdev came up" or "user XYZ has
>>logged in", so some application listening for such events could
>>do something, i.e. display an xmessage or write a mail ?
>>

>Yes.  It's absolutely ideal for these sorts of things, and it's fully
>intended to be used for those sorts of things.  Hotplug and udev on
>Linux already uses D-BUS for sending hardware event notifications (HAL,
>gnome-volume-manager, etc.) and it would be great to get more hardware
>based apps to use it.  For example, imagine if the X Server used HAL
>(and, by extension, D-BUS) to automatically reconfigure new input
>devices and so on while the server is running.  Would be great.  :)

Coming back to those much requested examples (I'll just keep on pushing ;-):

wouldn't it be great to just have some tiny examples which show off this
feature?
It should be possible to start some kind of small program which says
something like "plug or un-plug a USB device" and have it output a
message when this happens. Would be great for us newbies to get a feel
for the system.

Cheers,
 -Tako