Service files in lib/datadir

Mark McLoughlin mark at skynet.ie
Mon Dec 20 09:14:35 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 17:56 +0100, Richard Hult wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >>A while ago, the default conf for the session bus was changed to look up
> >>service files in datadir rather than libdir. The reason was to fix 64/32
> >>bit parallel installations, but I don't think this is the correct fix
> >>since it breaks the semantics of datadir (services are not shareable
> >>across different archs for example).
> >

> > 	Why aren't they shareable across different archs? At the moment they
> > only have Name/Exec, right?
>
> They point to an executable which isn't shareable, which I think means
> that you need different service files for different machines that share
> the same /usr/share directory.

	I don't understand that - how are the executables not shareable? How
are .service files different from .desktop files in that respect?

> I'm not sure if that's a problem, I'm more concerned with the location
> being changed if not necessary.

	Sure, but it sounds to me like .service files don't contain platform
specific data, and on that grounds do actually belong in $(datadir). Now
is the time to fix stuff like that.

Cheers,
Mark.