Activation

Havoc Pennington hp@redhat.com
Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:30:13 -0500

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 13:32, Richard Hult wrote:
> > * Some hesitation about the usefulness of primary/secondary owner
>
> Are there some known use cases for this? It sounds more useful to
> actually handle this at the application level, for example with a
> service that handles all the open windows of an app (instead of having
> several running instances of the app), and passes around the "primary
> owner" role as windows of the app are closed and opened.

The intended use case is:

 - I start three gedit processes, or one gedit and one
   kwrite
 - the first one claims org.freedesktop.TextEditor
 - I close the first gedit
 - one of the others becomes the active org.freedesktop.TextEditor
   automatically, with no race conditions

It seems like the alternative is:

 - I close the first gedit
 - the remaining editors all see it disappearing, and "thundering
   herd" all ask to take over org.freedesktop.TextEditor
 - an undefined one of them takes ownership and the others
   get errors

I haven't thought about it all that much, but that's the basic
motivation.

Havoc