Activation: b-a-s problems.

Mark McLoughlin mark@skynet.ie
Wed, 07 Jan 2004 17:42:00 +0000

Hi Richard,

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 17:24, Richard Hult wrote:

> > 	On the other hand, if you do:
> >
> > LANG=en_US gnome-terminal
> > LANG=en_GB gnome-terminal
> >
> > 	there should be two gnome-terminal processes - one which lets you
> > configure the terminal "colors" and the other which (correctly) lets you
> > configure the terminal "colours".
>
> Are there any useful real world use cases for this? I can imagine that
> some applications don't work correctly in some locales, and therefore
> you'd want to run them in e.g. English. If so, then I guess that's good
> enough reason for having per-language services.

	I'm not trying to argue that the use case is incredibly important or
anything. But it is something you'd expect to work, and I'm not
comfortable with designing a system that we know will make it impossible
to get such things working.

> (I tried to find bugs in GNOME bugzilla addressing locale problems, but
> I didn't really find a lot of reports. One person wanted to run
> evolution in English under a Russian locale, and the other problem
> seemed more like badly setup locale variables causing some trouble with
> panel applets.)
>
> If we do go for per-language services, then we should probably not
> consider all the LC_* variables, but only LANG, or otherwise it could
> quickly become a big mess...

	Yes, it is a mess. But I don't think you can ignore it. If we're going
to make try and make this work then why would we decide that LANG will
work but LC_ALL or LC_MESSAGES won't work ?

Cheers,
Mark.