General Questions

Havoc Pennington hp@redhat.com
Wed Mar 10 13:37:40 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 06:57, Armin Bauer wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are currently deciding what message bus to use in our project.
>
> What are the plans regarding porting of dbus? Will it ever be ported to
> windows?

The code is set up to allow it (unix calls are all in dbus-sysdeps.c)
but I don't know of anyone doing the windows work.

> What about overhead when sending messages? How is the transfer rate
> compared to other systems (like xmlrpc or plain sockets)?

Should be similar to X Window System protocol, faster than xmlrpc and
slower than a highly optimized domain-specific protocol.

But hasn't been profiled, and the implementation may have speed
problems.