about signals

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu May 27 13:31:00 PDT 2004

Hi,

I think maybe this is more evidence that we need to get the
GLib/Qt/Python bindings done; Seth and Dan were just bitching to me
about the raw C API, which is indeed a low-level thing designed to
implement bindings and not much else.

The way this is supposed to look in the GLib bindings:

 proxy = dbus_gproxy_new_for_service (connection,
                                      "org.blah.MyService",
                                      "/blah/blah/blah",
                                      "org.blah.MyInterface");
 dbus_gproxy_connect_signal (proxy, "Frobated", handler, data);

That's it - which is really very easy to use. And get rid of the
C-specific dbus_gproxy_ prefixing and so forth and you can see how in
Python or C++ or whatever it will be even easier.

Maybe this answers one of the questions in the TODO, which is whether
dbus/dbus.h should be included when you include the glib bindings - I
think the answer is no, we should do a full opaque wrapper that bumps
the API to the higher object-based level.