[python] How can a noob get a simple implementation?

Federico Pelloni federico.pelloni at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 08:37:40 PDT 2005

Hi everybody :-)

First of all, a bit of scenery:

- python window manager (today, a wrapper over Pywm)
- python taskbar (building it on my own)

They should communicate between them, and since I want this simple
DE to be modern (the taskbar uses cairo for rendering) I thought
the best way is DBus.

My idea:

1 - a window is created
2 - the WM should emit a signal (let's say "window.created") over dbus
with no particular destination (it could be useful also for a pager, one
day)
3 - the taskbar receives the signal "window.created" sent by "org.fredp.wm"
4 - it draws the new task using the infos shipping with the signal
window.created

My questions:

Either
A - is it possible to have this done with a few (I mean 2 or 3, not many
more)
    function calls? Maybe a
    dbus.emit_signal("window.created", (windowobject))
    in the WM code and a
    dbus.add_signal_receiver("window.created", self.draw_task)
    in the taskbar code. Quick and simple, I don't need much more.
OR
B - is there an up-to-date clear tutorial showing how to do something
similar?
    Often I find code that doesn't work (even that from the official how-to,
    I can't import dbus.service)

In the end, I'm sorry if my English is poor, it isn't my mother lang.

Good bye and many thanks, Federico