DBUS message formats

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 07:57:45 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 15:53 +0100, quintesse at palacio-cristal.com wrote:
> Just curious, because I'm not really sure how dbus is normally used but
> would it be (theoretically) possible in a future version to exchange the
> binary protocol that is being used for another? Or is most of that code
> statically included in some/most applications?

Once it reaches 1.0? No.  At that point we commit to ABI/API stability.
In practice it can but really it is all implementation details that are
not all that important (other than needing to be documented and stable).
If it becomes important it can be worked into a D-Bus 2.0 release but in
my opinion it is more important to have a stable platform to develop
with.